If you are the victim of domestic violence, you can ask the County Prosecuting Attorney to file a criminal complaint. You also have the right to file a petition in Circuit Court requesting an order for protection from domestic abuse which could include any of the following:
The forms you need to obtain a protection order are available in any Municipal, District, or Superior Court. Information about shelters and alternatives to domestic violence is available from a statewide twenty-four-hour toll-free hotline at 1-800-562-6025.
- An order restraining your abuser from further acts of abuse
- An order directing your abuser to leave your household
- An order preventing your abuser from entering your residence, school, business, or place of employment
- An order awarding you or the other parent custody of or visitation with your minor child or children
- An order restraining your abuser from molesting or interfering with minor children in your custody.